Home Visit Physician and Dieticians of HOMEDOC will take care of your high sugar at your home.
Diabetes Mellitus (Type 2) is a condition associated with high levels of blood glucose.
- Often people think that one who eats more sugar or sweets land up having diabetes, moreover people who eat bananas, mutton, chocolates develops the tendency of diabetes. But this is not true.
Definitely eating too much of the above mentioned foods (high carbohydrate) is not recommended, but that is not something to be banned.
- Most of the food you consume is converted into glucose in the body. You eat more food, it produces more glucose. More glucose in body ultimately produces fat. This is the idea behind having small and frequent meals. When you eat small meals at frequent intervals, your body produces limited glucose that can be utilized in the various metabolic processes of the body and providing energy. This helps in maintaining weight and well as blood glucose levels.
- Many times I have come across people having diabetes, who haven’t had something of their choice for years just because they have diabetes.
Being diabetic or a Pre- Diabetic is not a crime for which a person should be punished. Anybody should follow nearly the same guidelines that a diabetic should follow, to remain healthy as well as to prevent diabetes as:
- Sugar intake should not exceed 1-2 tsp per day for a normal adult, whereas diabetics can have sugarfree (limited as per doctor’sadvise).
- Foods rich in complex carbohydrate and Fiber like- Oats, Bajra, Ragi, Qunioa, Jowar, Wheat Daliya, Amaranth, Brown Rice, Vegetable Salads, Steamed Veggies, Fruits like Apple, Papaya, Jamun, Pineapple etc.
- A diabetic, pre- diabetic or a non diabetic, everybody should include these foods. But allowed foods doesn’t mean that you can eat a jug full of them, it means that these foods are a better choice due to their high fiber low carbohydrate content.
- Foods rich in Protein like- Low Fat Milk, Low Fat Paneer, Low Fat Yoghurt, Buttermilk, Boiled Egg White, Boiled or Grilled Chicken/ Fish, Daals, Sprouts & Soyabean, again are the foods that should form a part of every individual.
- Add detox juices like aloe vera juice, karela- amla juice, wheatgrass juice, it helps in controlling sugars, cholesterol as well as weight.
- Now here comes the most important part, the foods not listed above are not banned for anybody. It’s just that you have to manage it according to your medical condition. If you are diabetic or pre diabetic, and your sugars are going fine and you want to have something of
your choice, you can definitely have a piece of mutton or 1/2 banana or a small scoop of ice cream (twice a month), omitting some carbohydrate food from your diet for the day.
- Moreover, morning time, or three hours before your exercise is a good time when you can have such foods, as they will be better utilized by the body at these times. Although, do not eat too much of restricted food at a time at all, as it not only affects blood sugar it also affects other organs of your body.
To know more about diabetic diet plans contact HOMEDOC (doctor on call)
Dr Astha johri